9/29/09

cooking with donuts

I wanted to cook something yesterday that I had never tried before. Actually, I wanted to try something odd. I came across the recipe for glazed donut (bread) pudding and it fit the bill as being new to me and odd. The problem- it was a huge recipe. It calls for two dozen donuts. So, I came up with something on my own that is smaller. I liked it- the only problem is that I couldn't find day old donuts, and even after leaving them on the counter all day long, they still weren't quite hard enough. Next time I'll get them a day or two before I need them.

Cut 6 donuts up in cubes (this would fit in an 8x8 pan) the older (and staler) the better...



In a bowl mix up-

1 can sweetened condensed milk. NOT EVAPORATED milk

1 can (15 ounce) of canned fruit. I used pears in their own juice. Cut up what ever fruit you use into tiny itty bitty little chunks. I think pinapple would be good- the actual recipe calls for fruit cocktail.

Raisins. I used about 4 ounces of golden because that was what I had.

1 beaten egg

1 tsp cinnamon (and nutmeg if you want)

once, that is all mixed up, dump the donuts into it and coat all the pieces. Let the donuts soak up all the liquid. Put the mixture into an ungreased baking dish.

bake at 350 degrees for about an hour. Check it, the center will gel up and the edges will be all crusty and good.

Before cooking-

after cooking-


I made a glaze to pour over individual pieces. The glaze called for rum, which I didn't have, so this is what I made instead-

1 stick butter

confectioners sugar (enough to absorb the butter

vanilla extract -1tsp

half/half- enough to make it a glaze with a syrup like consistancy.

The rum sauce was 1lb butter, 1 lb confectioners sugar and rum to taste-just in case you wanted to know. We would have been eating rum sauce over everything for the next year if I made this.

This was very rich and quite sweet (DUH) so this small pan would serve about 6-8 people I'd think.

I didn't just make this yesterday- I also made a ham. But no pictures-sorry.

4 comments:

Anne At Large said...

So you made a glaze for your glazed doughnut bead pudding? That's hardcore. The proverbial double glazing, I believe.

thefarmersdaughter said...

the mr. has a sweet tooth the size of the grand canyon.

Anne At Large said...

Aha. Matt has like a negative sweet tooth and wouldn't be seen in the same room as something this sweet. My dad, however, might want to take a bath in it. It looks gorgeous. How long did it last?

thefarmersdaughter said...

two days.