12/10/12

We do our best work at the spur of the moment.....

Cut down all the offending lilac trees? Rip out the forsythia bush? Change out the dining room table? Rip out all the dining room carpet ?  All good ideas of ours that we put zero thought into before doing.  Now we can add re doing the living room to that list.....

We decided to clean the living room carpet this past Saturday. After the passing of my little Chuy it made sense. The poor little thing wasn't too...continent at the end. Or the middle if I'm being honest with myself. The carpet hasn't been cleaned in 8 years....and I have an 8 yr old boy, 2 cats (only one now) and Chuy during that time. It was past due.  

I can't actually do the carpet cleaning. I have "issues" with chemicals. Issues like I can't breathe and get all rashy..... so the Mr. was working that extractor machine and I was hiding out in the bedroom with the cat. At 4 pm in the afternoon he said that if I planned to paint the living room (and I was...in the SPRING) it made sense to do it while all the furniture was already out. He was right. I had the paint. (two gallons of mis tint Valspar paint with primer...in the color that my kitchen is already painted.....10 bucks for 70 bucks worth of paint... ) I had the rollers. I had everything I needed. So, we painted the living room, and we didn't stop there.  We also moved the cable, and ALL the furniture. We changed out bookcases. I stained the trim. I took down the old cruddy bamboo blinds. We put in new outlet covers, and fixed a section of the floor...and we still had everything done and put back together by 5 pm on Sunday.

This was the room before (in the summer- I didn't have any right before pictures as I wasn't planning on any big moves this weekend...)



Here is when we removed everything to clean it...



The room looked so big with no furniture! 




There you can see the paint color differences...... 


And here is after....I'll post better pics when it's lighter outside (we're having a snow storm today and it's grey and awful outside)

The land barge is still huge. I can't change that. BUT, I can and will change the coffee table to something smaller. When the Christmas tree is gone, the red chair is heading over in that direction...... 


Tonight we're trimming the tree! 


I still need to paint the white trim on the pass through and  put up the Christmas decor- but the room is clean now- the carpet AND the walls.  I still have the seven thousand pound vintage tv, but it's in a new location and I like it...... 

we'll see how this works out. If it doesn't, it's back to the drawing board! 

2 comments:

Colleen said...

ooh so exciting!

Those wooden bookcases are lovely, and I really like the land barge under the window. I didn't realize from the other pictures that there was brick on the floor along the angled wall. Does the TV console fit on that wall? If so, you might want to try it there after the tree comes down to help highlight that neat floor feature.

I think are right that a smaller coffee table would help. If you love the surface area of that table because of homework or crafts, maybe consider replacing what looks like a solid base with legs that allow you to see underneath the table? I think that would make it look lighter and smaller.

Another thing you might consider is tall plant stands for those beautiful ferns? You could flank the land barge with the ferns set behind it at the corners which would also help create some varying heights in the room.

I also think you should consider a solid slipcover for the land barge to help tone down the pattern but also to help it pop out from the carpet, curtain and walls. It looks super-comfy which is the key in a sofa for me so a slipcover might help match its form to its function.

I love your tree! I just put mine up as well though mine is artificial- the smell the real pine triggers my allergies pretty badly. Of course, I'm living in Saudi Arabia so there are no real trees here anyway...

Really such a great transformation for two days of work. I imagine the whole room must feel so fresh with the new wall color, furniture arrangement, and clean carpets. What a wonderful way to start the holiday season!

thefarmersdaughter said...

I will be taking some of these suggestions to heart when the tree is gone for sure! I'm allergic to our trees too.... zyrtec is my friend this time of year!

I wanted to put the tv in front of the wood wall on the tile, but it wasn't working with the viewing of the tv....but I plan on trying again in January!

I can't imagine being in Saudi Arabia for Christmas.....I lived in Phoenix for a few years...and that's the desert...but it's not Saudi Arabia for sure!