8/31/12

The last weekend....

School starts for us on Tuesday. We have a law in this state that says public schools can't go back until after Labor Day. How ridiculous. They value tourism dollars more than education (that was the reason given for this silly law BTW).

The boy is both excited and concerned. He's going into 3rd grade. This is when school really starts from what I hear. I know he'll do well, and he just needs to get back in the routine of it all. None of his friends are in his class this year- but that's OK because his friends are all next door and they have the same recess and the same lunch. Hopefully, he'll focus on work instead of his buddies. His teacher is a hippie. A real life vintage hippie. I can't wait. I hope that this year not only is he tested and evaluated, but he starts learning how to think and grasp ideas and concepts- not just spit out memorized facts that he will quickly forget. You know, real learning for learning's sake.


On the home front- I moved these giant grasses that were blocking the front. They have grown so much in the past 5 years.....and I am allergic to them. Walking through them was like being lashed- the little leaves left red marks on me where ever they hit me. See how big they got? .......


so, I dug some holes and moved them away from the walkway. Next year there will be rocks and border around them..... 


It was 90 degrees the day I decided to do this. NOT SMART. 

Have a great Labor Day weekend everyone! 

No comments: