6/9/08

Surviving the garage sale- and tornadoes!

Since the garage sale has been over, my weekend has pretty much been looking at radar forecasts, battening down the hatches, hiding in the basement, and surveying the damage. The river is up. ( Up is one step away from flood by the way. ) The area has trees blown down everywhere. There are still thousands of people without power in our county (and the county doesn't have many people to start with ) The sky has been one perpetual shade of grey for 48 hours now. It is supposed to rain off and on for the next week, but not really storm. The river may flood, but I think the trees may be safe.


Here are some pictures of the garage sale going on. We are so lucky the weather held out for the sale- I just don't know what I would have done with all that crap in my garage for another week or so! The garage is dark in these pictures, but rest assured- it too was full of stuff! The pictures I took before the garage sale were in the garage.

Here are some pictures of the back yard- from out my window. This is the section of the yard that I am going to be working on first (like this week if it stops raining). I will be pruning and cutting down trees, weed whipping, and moving some that decorative (in theory) fence. The bird feeder- Shepards hook was pulled down during the night- by a raccoon or maybe even a bear- looking for snacks. We are going to shoot it tonight if it comes back( if it's a raccoon- you can't shoot a bear). Yes, I said shoot. We live in the country and those things are pests. The log is tied to the bank so it doesn't float away- my husband wanted it for the landscape out there. There is also a HUGE stump stuck in the river just out of camera eye to the right. It must be stuck on the rocks up there.


4 comments:

Colleen said...

oh no- the green chairs! I LOVE the green chairs! Why do I live so far away?

I hope whoever got them knows what a gem they are...

Alana in Canada said...

It wasn't a garage sale: it was a flea market.

That is very scary weather you have there. I don't think I could stay calm in an area where tornados threatened. I sure hope it isn't a bear--you don't need a problem bear in the area on top of all the storms!

thefarmersdaughter said...

Colleen- No one bought the green chairs- I was stunned. I have them in my basement "media" room and I think I will keep them. If you are ever in Michigan with a truck tell me.

Alana- We had a tornado go through the area on Friday night, then another on Sunday night. The one on Sunday was only about a mile away. It took out a section about 10 miles long. This is the worst weather we have had in the past 5 years up here.

Colleen said...

I am (almost) speechless that the fabulous green chairs didn't sell. Hmmm- where in Michigan? I'm sure I can come up with some reason to be in the neighborhood with a truck... ;-)