Originally this place had dark fake wood cabinets, a weird Little House on the Prairie type of pink and blue wall paper, and the ugliest carpeting (yes, carpet) in the kitchen. Did I mention that the entire kitchen is 8 X 10 ? That is had paisley countertops ? That is has 3 ,yes 3, undercounter cabinets (and one of those is the undersink cabinet) and it that it has 3 large upper cabinets and 2 tiny upper cabinets. THAT'S IT. When we moved in it had a avocado green dishwasher that didn't work and a white fridge that we were told didn't work either (it did, but we didn't find that out until we bought a new one ), and an off white stove. (we are still using that stove because it works great ) It's only saving grace that they had converted a small closet right off the kitchen into a pantry. That thing is a lifesaver.
We moved in and I thought that I could make the kitchen work. Silly me. I had come from a house in Texas where my kitchen was 20 X 26 WITH another another room attached that was 14 x 10 (where my walk in pantry was located). When you have a kitchen and pantry of that size, you have stuff to fill it. I sure did. Even after purging I still have too much stuff for this kitchen. I do what I can, but I have stuff. I also have a Mr. who is not the most tidy in the world- and a 3 yr old with the eating habits of a 3 yr old. (Right now he is in the hotdog, goldfish, macaroni and cheese diet. )
Keeping this kitchen clean is hard. You would think that it would be easier- after all it's tiny. But no, that's not how it works. We got a new dishwasher which is a lifesaver, but we do tend to stack up the dirty dishes in the sink. The dishwasher doesn't get emptied in a timely manner most days. Run yes- but then no one empties it. So dishes stack up. I get CRAZY if there are dirty dishes on my tiny little countertops- there are 3 small countertops in my kitchen each about 2 ft square. When there is dirty stuff on them it makes me furious. Dirty stuff belongs in the sink or dishwasher only. I have to have clean countertops. I wash them about 3 times each day. We also tend to pile up items that need to go back to the pantry, instead of walking the 4 steps and putting them back. Or- if the item is put into the pantry- it's a rare sight if it's put away where it needs to go. So then, the pantry gets junked up and it's useless to me. Do I sound like I hate this kitchen- because I do.
- The dishes need to be done
- the counters need to be cleaned
- the fridge needs to be organized and cleaned
- the sink needs to be cleaned and the disposal run
- the floor needs to be cleaned
- the piles to go into the pantry need to be taken care
- the pantry needs to be organized
- the trash needs to be taken out
Are you kidding? I just want my kitchen cleaned so I don't go insane. I am not Mrs. Cleaver. Cleaning this is not going to make me fulfilled- just sane.
Organization. I need a better organizational program. Daily, weekly, monthly. A pantry list to help in the food buying. A little more help from the family. (HINT HINT- I know you are reading this honey)
So here it goes.
- load or unload the dishwasher whatever it takes to keep the dishes out of the sink and off the counters
- wash the counters.
- wash out the sink and area around it- make sure the disposal is run
- put away the piles of stuff for the pantry- in the right spots!
- wash the floor- I do it after dinner everynight
- keep the fridge cleaned
- garbage (every few days- maybe more than once a week)
- wash out the fridge area- and check for outdated food
- clean the pantry floor and shelves
- clean the cabinet doors
- grocery shop
- clean the light fixtures
- clean the inside of the dishwasher,
- clean the disposal
- clean the underside area of the fridge
- touch up any paint