8/18/14

I put in a fire pit....

Actually, I had a fire bowl, and I put in an area around it so I wouldn't burn down the neighborhood.

I am terrified of fire. My Mom caught on fire in front of me when I was around 4 or so. She backed up into a stove, and  her apron burst into flames. My Dad was there, and put her out, but it has stayed with me since then. Although I want a fire pit area, I don't want to be too close.

I had pulled a forsythia tree/bush out of this area two years ago. It was very overgrown- about 9 ft tall or so and awful.....


I unfortunately have no before pic of the ugly tree, this is where we took it off, and my lovely Mr's behind.

It left us with a really ugly hilltop. UGLY.

This is the spring (see, no leaves) all we did was to put up a rock border to warn people not to fall over the edge...... there were a ton of daylillies planted on the hill...... well, it turns out my Mr. HATES daylillies.  It's been 11 years and he's just NOW telling me this.... so.... I pulled out the daylillies, and then we had to have the huge maple cut down off the back deck....it was rotten.  It was also HUGE...and around 90 ft + tall. It turned the back yard shade garden into a full sun desert...... plants started to die. Things turned ugly. I had to do something.....


so I decided to make one of the shade gardens into the fire pit.... I made the area larger by removing a huge chunk of grass and then put a rock border up... these photos are horrible. I don't know what setting my phone was on....but it isn't pretty. Sorry....


 We had to pull the truck back to unload the rock (which we STILL need more of btw)




 How much vegetation did I cut back?..... two wheelbarrow full



 We need some more rocks...and a better bench......but we're now good to go...and burn........

No comments: