5/2/12

New Furniture.....



It's a fainting couch!   It was my mothers and she got tired of it so she passed it onto me. Now, my Mother has had this for at least 35 years. It's lived under a sheet in her living room (of TWO different houses) so it's in really nice condition. There is one button that is loose- that's it. It's really quite lovely. I though, thought it was black. It's not. It's brown. Not that it makes a big difference but still....... after all this time you would think I would have realized the color of the thing.....

It's in the sitting room now... or the movie room or the library or whatever we call it that day. The boy loves to lay on it and watch movies. The size fits better than that rotting behemoth of a danish modern sofa (which incidentally, had to be sawed in half to get it out of the house- I did save the walnut legs....)   It was rotting. The foam was decomposing. The fabric was awful (that's why it was covered up with a denim sofa cover that didn't really fit it) It was very uncomfortable. It was hard to sit down into and even harder to get up from. As much as I loved how it LOOKED, I HATED how it felt. I'm to the point that fuction trumps form now every damn day.....

Now I need to find a new side table and some new art for the walls. Maybe new curtains too....and I am not overly fond of the way these two things interact with each other. It's not awful, but I could do better I think.


On to other news...


I put one long ton (over 2200lbs) of river rocks in the planting beds in the front and side of the house. I'm not done yet, but moving and lifting that amount of rock killed my arms and back. I'm a stay at home Mom, not a landscaper and when you add in the fact I did all the beds (and make a new one- and replanted some plants) in 36 hours....alone....well....I'm sore.   I'll post some pics tomorrow. This one (above) is the side view......the pics aren't that great as it's cloudy, gloomy and raining, but you'll get the idea.....  It's time for me to start working outside. We only get about 5 months here in Michigan- I have to make it count!

No comments: