2/21/12

Now I know why I love Ikea......

turns out, I'm kinda Swedish. My Great Great Grandparents....ALL of them on my paternal side, were born in Sweden and came here in the 1880's.  Why do I know this now? Well, that illness is still ripping through the family (the hubs has it now) so I'm sorta stuck on the computer all day. I don't want to make too much noise by you know, cleaning or tv watching...so that sort of leaves the computer or reading.  And my new lenses aren't here yet....so computer it is. I can only go shopping so long...so I decided to go searching around census records and marriage records for my family.

On the maternal side of my family I have the genealogy to the 1500 and 1600 hundreds all mapped out. We came from Germany and England mostly. Some Dutch. But, they came over here early-before we were a country. The paternal side was a bit slower in arriving. But, they came and I guess that's really all that matters.

I am having a bit of an issue with a few relatives though- their names were changed slightly when they were either naturalized or because they started going by their middle names. It doesn't help that my last name is like the most common one in Iowa during the Swedish influx in the  1800/1900's  and  there wasn't the attempt to give their kids unique names...it's all Charles and John and Mary not a Blue or Moondoggy in the bunch!

Well, back to the salt mines of handwritten census records....

Be healthy.

1 comment:

Alana in Canada said...

Interesting. I like knowing that on my father's side, our ancestors came from Ireland just a few years after the Potato famine was over. Gives me a connection to history. I love it.
Happy hunting.