5/17/08

It's the weekend- so you know it has to be raining...

It's nice right now, but about an hour ago a cold front ripped by and I though we were going to lose a tree.

I have just about everything planted for this season (although the tomatoes I think got a touch of the frost the other day- yes, I said frost). Tomatoes ( 2 kinds) , lettuce ( 2 kinds), spinach, rosemary, basil, cilantro and of course flowers. I will take some pics later this week -everything is coming up nicely. We planted a tree in the front yard and I put flowers in the big planters and the flower boxes. I mowed the entire yard this morning and it looks pretty good. We have some more work to do, but all in all, I am pretty happy with the progress so far......


My knee is bothering me so I didn't ride my bike yesterday or today. My Mr. got a new bike yesterday so I am looking forward to being able to go on rides with him (after we line up Grandma and Grandpa child care)in the future!


I went garage shopping yesterday- got a nice Heywood Wakefield end table for 5 bucks. I will probably re sell it though-I don't really need another table, even one as nice as this one is. I did get a large bag of fur though. Yes, fur. Minks. I got one really nice stole- with the feet still attached, then the next day I got a big bag of minks. Whole minks, head, feet, tail everything. They are kinda creepy. I think there are about 10 of them, plus a large mink collar, mink shoulder pad type things and some other smaller pieces.



Before any PETA people get up in arms- here is my fur philosophy. These are all old minks. These poor creatures have been dead for a very, very long time. I think we have a responsibility to re use and recycle items as much as we can- and that is exactly what I am doing. (I use them in my dolls.) That said, I don't believe in new mink coats. WHY Do you ask? I don't like new minks because we don't eat mink. It may be my native American ancestors in me, but I think if you intend to kill an animal you should use all the pieces of that animal. Cows and pigs, we eat the meat, wear the leather, use all the pieces and parts. Nothing should go to waste. To me, that's ok. Minks, we kill them for their fur only and that's not ok with me. No one goes out and gets a mink steak. There are no mink sausages. Minks are just killed so someone can have a furry coat. If there was a tasty mink meatball out there I guess my opinion on mink coats might change- but there isn't (as far as I can tell )so I'm safe for the time being.

These next 3 weeks are very busy for me. This week we prepare to go out garage sale-ing for Memorial weekend. We will probably hit 30 or so on Friday alone. 2 years ago I got the great Herman Miller orange side chairs- last year I got 5 vintage metal lawn chairs for a buck each. I look forward to the hunt. Sunday is a large antique show my parents set up and sell at and my husband is going to help them this time around. Since my Dads heart thing he doesn't need to be working that hard when it's not necessary. Plus, he's on Plavix and so the slightest cut or bruise is a big deal due to the bleeding. The following week is my 6 mos. cancer check up and my parents are having a yard sale- so I will be helping them set theirs up and maybe even work it a little. The following week is my huge yard, garage and tent sale during our heritage days festival. I have a lot of work ahead of me- after all, I have to get rid of that huge outbox from the cure!

No comments: