3/17/11

Start at the beginning, the front door.....

First off, when you enter the house, you have about 4 ft to come inside and then get hit by another door. The enterance way is a staggering 41 inches x 44 inches. That means, you cannot open the door, great your guests and have them actually enter the house all at the same time. It's ridiculous. There is a closet on the right side of this picture that you can't see. Both doors were painted brown- along with all the trim in the house. I don't know why it took me 6 freaking years to paint them a normal color, but last year I finally broke down and painted the doors and trim white. What a difference. It doesn't help the size any, but it no longer looks like a big black hole either.....

This picture is obviously one that is in progress. I painted the dining room last year from an off-beige to a super bright white. The walls and the doors are actually the same color now....

I do have a problem with this area though- shoes. In the winter we have boots and multiple shoes everywhere. I have shoe trays- but they tent to migrate out of those. Even right now, as I look at the entrerance, I see 7 pairs of shoes loose and running free.

Next up is the dining room. It's actually one big room with this entrance, but I wanted to break down that little area alone.
Here is a before pic of the dining room floor......
tri color shag. Not only ugly- but sticky. We actually bought the house with this stuff on the floor.
There's a sucker born every minute.....

3 comments:

Alana in Canada said...

Please tell me you don't still have the tri-colour shag!

Can you take that second door off its hinges, so all you have is a doorway--and not an actual door?

If warmth is a factor, portiers are always an option in winter.

Cookbook said...

I love your artwork!

thefarmersdaughter said...

Alana- the second door goes right into a closet, so no. I'm stuck with the dollhouse sized entry. It sucks. But, it's all white now so at least it looks a bit better. No, the shag is gone. One day I came home and the Mr. had pulled it all up. We did live with it for over two years though- until Max started walking. Then, it had to go. ICK. The previous owners had large dogs that didn't get outside a lot from the backing of the carpet.
Cookbook- thanks! Those paintings are by me- the smaller one is called "a girls gotta choose" the larger one is just a portrait of me. sort of. They aren't up anymore though- they joined a big pile of my paintings in storage this winter.