1/3/11

JUMP

I hate the winter. I hate snow. I hate cold. I hate the sheer desolation of it all. The air smells funny...like nothing. I dislike being inside all the time and my inability to drive in the snow. I dislike that even if I could get out more, my shopping opportunities are limited to Wal Mart, Big Lots and the Dollar store. Rodeo Drive this isn't...Yet, I chose to live here.

After years- my entire adult lifetime and over 1/2 of my overall life-of living in the Southwest I moved here, to Michigan- to the freaking woods. I did it for my (now)husband- but when I moved up here we weren't married, or engaged or anything. Hell, we had hardly been dating. But, there was something. Something I was willing to take a chance on. Something that made me ditch my life and friends, put my belongings in a giant U Haul and drive it across the country dragging my Jeep behind me. Something that made me move back to my home town without ever telling my family.  Something that made me put my life in the hands of an almost stranger.

That actually runs in my family. My grandmother married my Grandfather and moved from New York out to Iowa after knowing him for all of two weeks. She told me she "was awfully lucky" once- "things could have gone very, very badly". I agreed. Then, I went and followed her lead.  Sometimes you have to follow your heart and not your head. You just have to jump......

1 comment:

Anne At Large said...

Wow. I don't know that I could move to the middle of nowhere for someone, Reno is bad enough ;) That is a pretty amazing story. I am so glad you followed your heart, despite the weather. And I love that it seems to run in the family.